Thursday, August 25, 2011

"Jake and the Neverland Pirates" Birthday Party

AVAST, AHOY, AYE-AYE!!


I spent many hours planning this party, so I decided to share this on my blog, in case anyone else is interested in some of the ideas. I received help from many sites online, so it's the polite thing to do for others wanting to give their 'lil pirate the best "Jake" party.  Being that Disney's "Jake and the Neverland Pirates" is so new, there's not much out there for birthday parties yet.  Here, I compiled all of my favorites  for a "Jake" party.

the invitation


games
We played a few games that the kids seemed to enjoy.  The first was called "Musical Islands" which is just a version of musical chairs.  What I used were paper plates with "Jake" characters on the islands (see pic below).  Pretty simple....I put as many "islands" in a circle as there were children, less one.  Started playing "Jake" songs (videos taken from youtube and converted to MP3 files) and the kids had to follow around the circle.  When the music stopped the children had to step on an island.  The child that didn't land on an island had to walk the plank  :-/.  For this, we set up a kiddie pool with a board held up by two big bricks.    I added some ocean creatures in there to float around for an extra effect. (Wish I would've taken some pictures, but I was SO busy.)  The only problem I had was that the kids wanted to get out of musical islands just so they could walk the plank.  :-)



The second game was one of my favorites.  It was called "Sink the Ship".   We used four very large storage bins (two for each ship) and taped on a couple jolly rogers on each.  I made cannon balls (made out of crinkled up newspaper with black duct tape rolled around it.  I separated the kids into two groups; gave each group a pail of cannon balls.  When I blew the whistle, they had to throw the cannon balls in each others ships. (This part was funny because some of the parents helped get involved because not too many cannon balls were landing in the other's ship....lol) Whichever ship had the least amount of cannon balls when I blew the whistle again won that round.  We played two rounds; because each team had won once, I thought that was a good place to end it.  They were allowed to pick out something from the goodie bag for participating in each game, so they seemed to enjoy that part of it also.


We concluded the party with a treasure hunt.  Couldn't have a pirate party without one of these!   We did the treasure hunt as a team, as Jake does in his show.  This is what took me so long to prepare for, but in the end, it was well worth it. Especially when a little kid comes up to you during the hunt and says "I'm having a lot of fun!"  We started out with a treasure map that was given to Captain Carter and read our first clue.  The first picture below is the file picture of the map; the second shows the actual look of the map after it was finished.  I singed the ends of the document before I glued it onto a singed piece of a grocery paper bag.  I thought it looked a little more authentic that way.  :-)    

I did this in photoshop with the help from my mom.  (I know you weren't able to be here, but you helped out a lot with the party, so THANK YOU Mom! <3 u)


Each location, the kids had to figure out the clue and head to that location to search for a bag of gold doubloons and their next clue.  I found a PDF file of these treasure hunt clue cards below on www.familyfun.com; then i brought them into photoshop to add the text.



After the final clue was read, the kids ran to the spot and found their loot bags.  (See pictures below.) I included golden nuggets (rocks sprayed gold), some Hershey chocolate nuggets, individual Rolos, pirate stickers, pirate jokes, a "Jake" coloring page from www.disneyjunior.com, bubbles and a bouncy rubber ball.  They also were allowed to keep the gold doubloons they received from their treasure hunt, as well as their pirate gear they received when they first arrived at the party.  In the Garb Shoppe & Tattoo Parlor, the kids were given a foam pirate hat (already prepared by Marissia & Alisha....thank you girls!), a compass, eye patch, beaded necklace and pirate tattoos.








party pictures

Here are some pictures of Captain Carter with some of his crew mates.  
Some just didn't want their picture taken.  :(

Take note of their pirate names....so cute!







the kids enjoying cake

singing to the birthday boy


food
I really messed up with not getting enough pictures.  I tried to keep with the theme as much as I could.  It was nothing fancy.....we had hot dogs/brats.  For the kids, I had toothpicks with a "Jake" flag; once added into the end of the hot dog with a bun, it looked like a ship.  Then I added goldfish crackers around the plate to make it look like the "ship" was in the ocean.  See the re-enactment of the hot dog ship below.  (It was requested the following day because it was "so cool".)  Also for the kids, I made "Ocean Potion", which was just Berry Blue Jello served in clear cups, with a sour gummy octopus added on top.  The kids drank "Shark's Blood", which was Sprite served in a clear cup with an added ice cube of Fruit Punch. Once added in, it kind of spread throughout the drink....some were unsure of this name.  :)

Carter's Pirate cake

Carter sitting down to eat
You can somewhat see the hot dog ship, as well as the "Ocean Potion" (octopus already eaten) and "Shark's Blood".


The hot dog ship at sea

Wish I would've taken a picture of the watermelon ship.  It was very simple and ended up pretty cute.  I cut the watermelon in half.  Scooped out the watermelon of one half; cut a thin piece of the rind to create a flat bottom.  Cut the other half of the watermelon in chunks.  Added all watermelon pieces to the scooped out "ship"; then added a few pirate sails with wooden skewers.  (I really liked how this turned out.....so wish I would've had a picture of it.)


Thank you to all of those that helped out:  Mom (photoshop things), Jay (my go-to guy for creating the ships and the plank, helping get all of my 1,000 things to the park, for dressing up as a pirate for your son.....I'm sure there's so much more), Shelly, Marissia & Alisha (for helping set up at the park and helping serving food and bringing food and falling through with a pirate costume for Carter), Ashley (for helping out with balloon swords), Jordan & Jared (for doing the best you could with making balloon swords...lol and for helping clean up), Angie & Matt (for going back to my house to get the forgotten items and with the clean up), Bobby (for helping clean up), Rhonda & Larry (for bringing food, borrowing the skull decoration and helping clean up), Del & Re (for bringing food and for video-taping clips of Carter's party), Ryan (for printing out the cool pirate party banners), Jan (for borrowing me her pirate costume), my dad & Nadine (for helping with clean up), and to all the guests who were able to attend and make the party a success and quite a memory for my birthday boy.

A LOT of work, but I had so much fun doing this party!!


2-24-2013 UPDATE: TO ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A COPY OF ANYTHING:  UP TO THIS POINT, I WAS SHARING ANY FILES ANYONE REQUESTED BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I PUT SO MUCH WORK INTO THE PARTY, I MIGHT AS WELL SHARE IT! AS OF FEBRUARY 21, 2013, I WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO SHARE ANY FILES.  NOT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO, BUT BECAUSE MY HARD DRIVE WAS DAMAGED AND IT HELD ALL OF MY PARTY FILES. THE ONLY ONE I HAVE IS THE "CLUES" PDF FILE. THIS FILE WAS RECENTLY EMAILED TO SOMEONE SO I WAS ABLE TO RETRIEVE THAT FILE.  THESE WERE SPECIFIC TO OUR PARTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THEM WORK FOR YOURS, FEEL FREE TO DOWNLOAD THEM BELOW:

You may need to copy and paste into your browser.  Although, easiest way is to highlight the link, right click, and select the option to "open in new link".

CLUES, PAGE 1: http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/bevholte/BLOGGER%20DOWNLOADS/pirate_clue_cardscopy.jpg

CLUES, PAGE 2: http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/bevholte/BLOGGER%20DOWNLOADS/pirate_clue_cards2copy.jpg



37 comments:

  1. I only wished I could have been there to en joy the fun. But the party sounds like it was a quite a success. Love you guys
    And thank you with the update

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds you enjoyed your party...my best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I so enjoyed reading about this party! I have actually thought about this several times since last year, because we sent home the save the dates for it! I am so glad I was snooping around on your blog! You are AMAZING!!!!

    -Maureen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Maureen! Glad you enjoyed it. The kids had a blast and it was so fun to plan! Although, I don't think any party will ever compare. He wants a Spiderman one this year, so I better get planning!

      Delete
  4. Great ideas for Jake and the Neverland Pirates Birthday Party. Loved your map!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, leahwolfram. Thanks for the compliment on the map! I spent probably more time than I should have on that one, but it was well worth the smiles!!

      Delete
  5. Hey there! Just trying to find ideas for our Jake and the Neverland Pirates party and I came across your blog. Can you share with me where you found the PDF for the pirate booty bags and the pirate map? I am computer illiterate, but I'm trying! Any help would be so appriciated! genelle.powell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm impressed with every aspect of your Jake-themed birthday party for your son. It looks like it was a hit with the kids!! Our son is turning 4 in December and he loves, loves, loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates, so of course that's what we want to be the theme for his b-day party. You have many wonderful ideas that I plan to incorporate but I wanted to ask you about some specifics: where did you get the pics to put on the "musical islands"? Where did you get the pirate map? Where did you get the "pirate booty" picture? Were they pdf's you found online?

    Thanks for any help you can give me! I know it will be a lot of work to plan this party, but the elation I will see on our son's face will be worth it!!

    Please e-mail me at dianabutler@hotmail.com

    :-) Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wondering how the birthday party turned out? If he had it yet? Hope he had or will have a great time!

      Delete
  7. Found your ideas for Jake and the Neverland Pirates party and I came across your blog, wow so creative, any chance you could share with me as well as to where you found the PDF for the pirate booty bags and the pirate map? have been trying to make it work for my 2 year olds party but no luck, please please :) my email is ladycharisse@hotmail.com. Again ! amazing job, so cute !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I have not yet responded. I promise to try and get to it sometime in the next two days. I actually created the pirate booty bags with images I found on bing, as well as a little help from Photoshop. I also created the map on Photoshop that was very specific to our treasure hunt location. I will email you with details soon.

      Delete
  8. How did you change his name on the invitation?...I would be so thankful for the information. Dionne_5584@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    I love your party ideas! I am throwing a Jake party this week and was wondering if it would be ok if I used your clues to your treasure hunt! They look super cute! If so, my email is taybugwhite@yahoo.com.
    Amazing job!
    Thanks! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie,
      I just emailed you those clues. Hope you enjoy your pirate party!

      Delete
  10. I love your ideas!!! We are throwing our little boy a Jake party next week. Would you be able to post your clues?? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would email them to you if you want to send me your email. :-)

      Delete
    2. Bev..would you also send me the clues? Jamiewedwards@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Bev..would you also send me the clues? Jamiewedwards@gmail.com

      Delete
  11. Would you be willing sell and personalize your invitation PDF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply to: Misscriss83@yahoo.com

      Delete
  12. UPDATE: TO ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A COPY OF ANYTHING: UP TO THIS POINT, I WAS SHARING ANY FILES ANYONE REQUESTED BECAUSE I FELT LIKE I PUT SO MUCH WORK INTO THE PARTY, I MIGHT AS WELL SHARE IT! AS OF FEBRUARY 21, 2013, I WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO SHARE ANY FILES. NOT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO, BUT BECAUSE MY HARD DRIVE WAS DAMAGED AND IT HELD ALL OF MY PARTY FILES. THE ONLY ONE I HAVE IS THE "CLUES" PDF FILE. THIS FILE WAS RECENTLY EMAILED TO SOMEONE SO I WAS ABLE TO RETRIEVE THAT FILE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having a Jake birthday party for my son on Thursday this week in Germany. Could you email me the treasure hunt clues? I'm currently working on putting the treasure hunt together. Thanks so much! Danielle-My email is storrs29@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you received the file I sent this morning. If not, let me know and I'll send it again. Have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was wondering if u could email me the sticker image that is on the brown paper bags? My email is trishamarcum86@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. And also the image on a toothpick on the hit dogs? I was wondering if the treasure hunt would be to hard for a group of children of ages2-7?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the treasure hunt is more suitable for 4 and up. Ages 2 and 3 would need a lot of help.

      Delete
  17. Loved all of your ideas. I know your computer crashed, but can you send me what you have? The clues for the scavenger hunt would be great! Thanks for sharing! svardo@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the clues above, thank you! Although, I feel ignorant...I don't know all the answers to the clues! Is there an answer page somewhere? And did the kid have problems figuring them out? svardo@msn.com

      Delete
    2. svardo - i just emailed you the clues. :-) Enjoy your pirate party!

      Delete
    3. CLUE ANSWERS
      First page:

      - water spout
      - a grill
      -net (volleyball net)

      Second page:

      -rock
      -loot bags were hidden in a big container (like the ones you use to pack up old baby clothes). i had the radio sitting on top of that container
      -apple tree (this was actually the first clue, but i missed it so just added it in at the end)

      Delete
  18. Can I have you treasure hunt clues? thorntl4@gmail.com
    You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Would you mind e-mailing me the treasure hunt clues as well please? The link isn't working anymore. Thanks!
    ~Alessia
    aalbanese@rogers.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. The child that didn't land on an island had to walk the plank :-/. For this, we set up a kiddie pool with a board held up by two big bricks. Scavenger hunt riddle clues

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you still have the treasure hunt clues, I would love them. Can you email? leslierothdiener@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete